NIAGARA FALLS, NY (Oakwood Cemetery) - February 9, 1852 a meeting of subscribers to a new cemetery near Niagara Falls, NY was held to form a corporation. The meeting held at the St. Lawrence Hotel was attended by some of Niagara's most prominent citizens. Parkhurst Whitney (owner of the Cataract House and father of the "Three Sisters" as in Three Sister's Islands) was elected President. J. F. Trott, (who later had the Vocational School named after him), was elected Secretary. Peter A. Porter was also in attendance. (He eventually became Colonel Porter and was shot and killed while leading his men in the battle at Cold Harbor during the Civil War).
The men decided to take a vote on what they should name the new cemetery. Some of the suggestions were: Oakwood, Oakgrove, Oakfield, Oakdale, Oakland, Oakvale, Hopefield, Hoperest, Hopes' Rest, Hope Wood, Woodfield, Woodlawn, and Greenwoods. The vote was 20 for Oakwood and 1 for Oakgrove. So the name was adopted.